Friday, July 12, 2024

Life is strange

When I was a child, besides speaking like a child, today seemed like a million years away. Well that time is upon me -



it’s the 25th anniversary of my 39th Birthday (Thank you Mr. Benny). This was another strange year for me (I had what I hope is the last surgery for a very long time.) and I'm very happy you Bunkies have decided to join me in the annual review of my Desert Island Discs selections, Godzilla’s Atoll LPs, brought to you by ACME Eagle Hand Soap Radio Hour (and Toho Studios.) As I'm sure you remember, ACME’s in-house law firm, Hungerdunger, Hungerdunger, Hungerdunger, Hungerdunger and McCormick (and don’t be like Jamison and leave out the most important Hungerdunger,) urged me to avoid copyright issues with the BBC, and encouraged this partnership.)


(In case you’ve never heard of the BBC show Desert Island Disc – people are asked what music they would bring with them if they were stranded on an island for an indefinite period of time.


Here are the rules:

1.) You make choose 8 pieces of music and tell me why you chose them.
2.) You then get to choose one book to take with you (you automatically get to take the Complete Works of Shakespeare and either the Bible or another appropriate religious or philosophical work.)
3.) You get to choose one luxury, which must be inanimate and of no use in escaping the island or allowing communication from outside. (You can cheat here – since you can listen to music, there is some form of electric, so you may have refrigeration for your luxury item.)

There is nothing profound or deep in my Godzilla’s Atoll LP choices – they’re just songs that I like (in no particular order)


Desperados Under the Eaves – Warren Zevon



This year, as not to forget Warren, I choose him first – but I think it’s strange that he is not everyone’s cup of tea. Ah well, their loss. This song is a favorite of mine. It always reminds me of my time that I was an executive of a quaint metropolitan multinational corporation and O was quite drunk floating in the outdoor pool at the Ritz Carlton in Honk Kong, (don't ask.)


Us and Them – Pink Floyd



Again, this year I remembered Pink Floyd and this is one of my favorite songs – but I think that choosing your favorite Pink Floyd cut is like choosing you favorite kid. This is one of the first songs I ever slow danced with Mrs. Dr. Caligari, a very long time ago. Do kids still slow dance? They should.


Take One Last Look - Tom Waits



I love Tom Waits but some of his songs really hit me very hard. I was going to pick Come On Up To The House but when I realized that I couldn't get through listening to it without breaking out in tears, perhaps that wasn't a great pick to put on heavy rotation. I think I could get through Take One Last Look with just a sniffle or two.


Shoplifters of The World - The Smiths



If I ever needed to get up and move around, The Smiths are one of the groups that are my main go to.I just have to think about Morrissey dance around and I can feel the beat immediately.


Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying – Rickie Lee Jones



I never seem to remember to list one of her songs and yet she is one of my favorite performers. While she has many fantastic original songs, she is a wonderful interpreters of other people's material. This song put me into a cocktail lounge mood. Being on a desert island I had better be in a cocktail mood.


Black Cow – Steely Dan



My annual dilemma, choosing the Steely Dan cut. I’ve often said that I probably don’t need a Steely Dan song; I could call them up at will in my mind. I will always will remember singing this song with Mrs. Dr Caligari sitting on the corner of 79th St. and Columbus Avenue, waiting from some friends


Radio, Radio – Elvis Costello



I have so much trouble with this choice: I nearly went with my old stand by Watching The Detectives (I can’t believe I’m still listening to this song after 40 years,) but switched gears and decided to go with his 'naughty' song that got him banned from SNL for years. It’s nearly impossible to appreciate the long lasting career of the brilliant Mr. MacManus.

Nightswimming – R.E.M.



I believe this is only the second time I've chosen an R.E.M. song - not that I don't like the band. They get crowded out by so many other bands. I know that ther will be a lot of swimming on the island, both day and night so this seems very appropriate.


The book I’d take with me would be Ulysses by James Joyce.

It would be the second time I would have read the book in almost 40 years. I will be curious to see how it strikes me all these years later.

As always, the luxury item would be a refrigerator full of Bombay Sapphire (and maybe, tub of kalamata olivies.)

so that’s eight songs (and that’s all you’re allowed.) This year I feel ok with my choices. I’ll try to get marooned again next year for my birthday, and see how I do.


And so it goes

No comments:

Post a Comment