Saturday, July 11, 2020

When life gives you lemons, chunk them right back

Ok, I'm 60. Can't pretend that I'm not. As you may know my high priced laywers from ACME have urged me to avoid copyright issues with the BBC, so a few years ago, I teamed up with Toho Studios and renamed my Desert Island Discs selections, Godzilla's Atoll LPs, brought to you by ACME Eagle Hand Soap Radio Hour.

(In case you've never heard of the BBC show Desert Island Disc - people are asked what music they would bring with them if they were stranded on an island for an indefinite period of time.

Here are the rules:

1.) You make choose 8 pieces of music and tell me why you chose them.
2.) You then get to choose one book to take with you (you automatically get to take the Complete Works of Shakespeare and either the Bible or another appropriate religious or philosophical work.) 3.) You get to choose one luxury, which must be inanimate and of no use in escaping the island or allowing communication from outside. (You can cheat here - since you can listen to music, there is some form of electric, so you may have refrigeration for your luxury item.)


There is nothing profound or deep in my Godzilla's Atoll LP choices - they're just songs that I like (in no particular order)


Shine On You Crazy Diamond (I - IX) - Pink Floyd



I really like Pink Floyd and yet, I almost never pick a cut of theirs for my choices - I think that choosing your favorite Pink Floyd cut is like choosing you favorite kid. But I think knowing that this is a tribute to founding and former band member Syd Barrett who allegedly was in attendance at its recording, unbeknownst to the band, adds an extra frisson to listening to it.


The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys - Traffic



If ever a song was written to listen to on a beach at sunset - this is it. (also this is another great cheat for me, hearing this song will remind me of the great cover version that Ricki Lee Jones did. I read a wonderful comment about it, saying that she sang the cover like she wrote it herself.)


Take One Last Look - Tom Waits



You probably shouldn't be maudlin on a desert island. But should the need arise, this song would do the trick within the first 30 seconds.


Bad Reputation - Joan Jett



If ever I had a low energy day on the island, this would have to be my go-to song.


Beyond Belief - Elvis Costello



Even on a desert island, you need songs about almost empty gin palaces - Imperial Bedroom comes through


Home At Last - Steely Dan



Ah, the ever present Steely Dan cut. I probably wouldn't need a Steely Dan song; I could call them up at will in my mind. But this is a beachie feeling one and it seems to be an appropriate one this year. And I won't forget my Steely Dan tshirt!


How Insensitive (Insensatez) - Frank Sinatra



As I've gotten older, I 'm more and more appreciating the older Sinatra - I picked one of the bossa nova hits; why wouldn't you listen to a bossa nova Sinatra song while you're on a desert island.


Mohammed's Radio - Warren Zevon



I have a very strange attraction to this song. I have heard Warren Zevon sing most of his songs drunk and sober. This one almost sounds better when sung as a drunken fan. More importantly, this song always reminds me of driving home, very late at night on a summer night, (I have the same feeling when I hear the song, Leaving Las Vegas. I can remember hearing Vin Scela premiere the whole album on his song.)


The book I'd take with me would be The Tale of Genji by Murasaki Shikibu translated by Edward Seidensticker (hard cover)

I could spend much of the time making my way through this dense novel. As always, the luxury item would be a refrigerator full of Bombay Sapphire (and maybe, tub of kalamata olivies.)

so that's eight songs (and that's all you're allowed.) This year I feel rushed with my choices - I feel that I've forgotten some. I'll try to get marooned again next year for my birthday, and see how I do.



Demand Euphoria!

No comments:

Post a Comment