Sunday, July 12, 2015

So right for troubadors.

My Fourth Desert Island Disc set

Even though I have realized that I am now un homme d'un certain âge,

there really is nothing profound or deep in ones Desert Island Disc choices - they're just songs that I like (in no particular order)


Exchange - Massive Attack



Massive Attack is great band to listen to with headphones on.  The song Exchange is a good way to slip into a deep relaxation mood. And as and added bonus, I get a little Issac Hayes added in.



Insensatez - Astrud Gilberto (with Stan Getz)



A little Bossa Nova in the sand. What could be better?  Listening to Astrud sing Jobim will help if no martinis are available.


The Long Honeymoon - Elvis Costello



I've said it before; it is impossible to pick one Elvis Costello song (how can you choose one song from his over 30 studio albums?) This year I went with one of my favorite cuts from Imperial Bedroom, one of my favorite albums.  As always, besides the music, you can hear him fully stretch his muscles as a writer.


Life on Mars - David Bowie



Picking just one David Bowie is hard; which somg, what period, which persona.  I'm going with this early Bowie classic - it sets him apart from the mainstream of what was going on in music at the time and he's perfectly commenting on it. There's a lot going on in the song and being stranded on an island gives one time to chew on it.


Mohammed's Radio - Warren Zevon



I have a Proustian rush of memories - laying in my bed, listening to Vin Scelsa play a live version of this song in the middle of the night.


In Every Dream Home a Heartache
- Roxy Music




Back in the day, when I worked at Macy's, we were allowed to play music before the start of the selling day.  We used to blast Roxy Music through the Arcade (is the Arcade still there at the Herald Sq. location?)


Say Goodbye To Hollywood - Billy Joel



I like this back of the vault cut from Turnstiles. I saw a lot of Billy Joel concerts with Mary. If she isn't with me on the desert island, I'd take this song with me to think of her (Once again, I don't need to explain, it's my list.)


Show Biz Kids  - Rickie Lee Jones



As I said two years ago, I couldn't be on a desert island without at least one Steely Dan song.  This year I've given myself a twofer, a cover version of a Steely Dan song sung by the Duchess of Cool.  A magnificent cover. (Plus I can twitter like a school boy when she sings 'Fuck'.)


The book I'd take with me would be The Insanity Defense by Woody Allen (paperback)

(I will never need anything else to read) and this year, the luxury item would be a refrigerator full of Veuve Clicquot (and maybe, a little caviar.)

That eight songs (and that's all you're allowed.) I didn't get a chance to pick any Sinatra, Jimmy Scott singing Heaven, Lou Reed or Tom Waits this year - I'll have to play them in my head.


I'll try to get marooned again next year for my birthday, to have another go at it.


And so it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment