Tuesday, July 12, 2011

My Desert Island Disc List

There is nothing profound or deep in my Desert Island Disc choices - they're just songs that I like (in no particular order)


If You Are But A Dream - Frank Sinatra



I love listening to Sinatra. This is Saturday afternoon, starting to cook a wonderful meal. Pulling a chilled martini glass out of the freezer. Even late Frank, when his voice is total gone and the material is crappy. But this isn't late Sinatra - this is early Sinatra , before the Rat Pack, before Ava - smack dab in the middle of the Bobby soxer years.


Boys & Girls - Brian Ferry



Any sort of style or sophistication I have in life owes a small part to my listening to Brian Ferry. I could have also chosen In Every Home There is A Heartache or Slave to Love - they all evoke a very sultry, louche like mood (for me.)


Thunder Road - Bruce Springsteen



Bruce Springsteen is the soundtrack you play in your head when you're driving somewhere during the summer. This is the song you hear if your driving to the beach at night, with all the windows wide open.


Pavane for a Dead Princess - Maurice Ravel



I remember hearing the Deodato version of this as a kid and I was hooked. I know it's middlebrow classical music but I'm always deeply moved when I hear it.



Paint it Black - The Rolling Stones



This song gets you moving. Every time I hear it, I either see my friends bobbing around dancing to it or my daughter, when she was much younger, leaping up from her bath and playing air guitar, full throttle, to the song.


Take Me to the River - Al Green



I really like the Talking Heads version but hey, if you're stuck on an island you need a little salvation and who better to bring it to you but none other than the good reverend.



I Can't Get Started With You - Billie Holiday



How do you pick just one Billie Holliday song? How do you pick you favorite heartache? I used to play this before any dinner party, my wife and I hosted.


Haitian Divorce - Steely Dan



We always have to play some Steely Dan in the car for long road trips. I hate long road trips and it's the bait to lure me into the car.


The book I'd take with me would be La Recherche Du Temps Perdu ( I read it when I was in my 20's and I'm sure it would be a completely different book, reading it again now) and the luxury item would be a Freezer full of Bombay Sapphire (I won't need the vermouth.)

That eight songs (and that's all you're allowed.) I didn't get a chance to pick any Elvis Costello, any Squeeze, any Annie Lennox, any Radiohead, any Pearl Jam etc.


I think I'll have to get marooned again to have another go at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment