Saturday, July 15, 2017

The ACME Eagle Hand Soap Radio Hour (24) Special Edition


Another page from the ACME Catalog -


Before our feature presentation, ACME would like to start the evening with the 1962 Ralph Wolf and Sam Sheepdog Looney Tunes cartoon, A Sheep In The Deep:



This is last cartoon featuring Sam Sheepdog and Ralph Wolf (the pairs sixth outing) to be directed by Chuck Jones.


Since I went with the Proust Questionnaire on my birthday, I figured I'd play my Desert Island Disc choices during today's ACME Eagle Hand Soap Radio Hour. But in order to avoid copyright issues with the BBC, ACME would like to team up with Toho Studios and rename the program Godzilla's Atoll LPs.

(In case you've never heard of the BBC show Desert Island Disc - people are asked what music they would bring with them if they were stranded on an island for an indefinite period of time.
Here are the rules:

1.) You make choose 8 pieces of music and tell me why you chose them.
2.) You then get to choose one book to take with you (you automatically get to take the Complete Works of Shakespeare and either the Bible or another appropriate religious or philosophical work.)
3.) You get to choose one luxury, which must be inanimate and of no use in escaping the island or allowing communication from outside. (You can cheat here - since you can listen to music, there is some form of electric, so you may have refrigeration for your luxury item.)


There is nothing profound or deep in my Godzilla's Atoll LP choices - they're just songs that I like (in no particular order)


Heroes - David Bowie



I'm going to start with the toughest. Choosing you favorite Bowie cut is like choosing you favorite kid. After I boiled it down for the purposes of Desert Island Discs, I mean Godzilla's Atoll LPs, again ACME doesn't want a problem with the BBC, I had two possible picks. I could go with either Heroes or Life on Mars. After much soul searching, I went with Heroes because I could imagine it playing over the credits of an imaginary film.

The Chain - Fleetwood Mac



I so clearly remember when Rumours came out, back when the earth cooled and formed a hard crust. I've mentioned before, that my sister and I wore the needle on the record player out playing the album. Currently, my daughter loves Fleetwood Mac and loves this cut. Listening to The Chain remind me of the my memories of me being a teenager and my daughter being a teenager.


Wild is the Wind - Nina Simone



This is another sneaking twofer - this is a fanatic song performed by a phenomenal artist. Listening to this would remind me of David Bowie's very good version of the song. Listening to this song will wipe away any drab thought I might have while on the island; the music will carry you away.


Tom Waits - Telephone Call From Istanbul



Why wouldn't you want to listen to Tom Waits? I don't think I trust anyone who doesn't like Tom Waits.


The Nearness of You - Annie Lennox



Annie Lennox is another tough call. I'm going to go with a cut from her 2014 album Nostalgia. It's a very good dry martini of a song.


Haitian Divorce - Steely Dan



Ah, the ever present Steely Dan cut. I probably wouldn't need a Steely Dan song; I could call them up at will in my mind. But this is the perfect song to have with you while stuck on a desert island.


How Insensitive - Frank Sinatra



I can't have every Sinatra song, so I picked one of the Bossa Nova hits; why wouldn't you listen to a Bossa Nova Sinatra song while you're on a desert island.


Mohammed's Radio - Warren Zevon



I had to have a Warren Zevon and I figured I go with one of the 'cheerful' ones. Also it's about being on an island (although not a particularly good vacation.)


Beyond Belief - Elvis Costello



Even on a desert island, you need songs about almost empty gin palaces - Imperial Bedroom comes through


The book I'd take with me would be Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann (hard cover)

Perhaps I can finally understand whether or not the entire novel is just a long fever dream before Castrop's death on the battlefield or did he really spend seven years at the sanatorium. As always, the luxury item would be a refrigerator full of Bombay Sapphire (and maybe, tub of kalamata olivies.)

So that's eight songs (and that's all you're allowed.) This year I feel content with my choices. I'll try to get marooned again next year for my birthday, and see how I do.



Demand Euphoria!

No comments:

Post a Comment